To assist legal department personnel research, organize, analyze, draft, and prepare a variety of written materials supporting AdvaMed’s legal policy work, and internal legal and governance matters.
The Paralegal will also manage (1) the Legal department (internal) SharePoint site; (2) all Legal and Compliance policy content on AdvaMed.org, as well as provide administrative support for department personnel.
II. Essential Duties of Position
Legal Policy Research and Support
· Researches and assembles background materials to support the analysis of legislation, administrative agency notices / proposed rules / guidance, and other legal policy proposals
· Tracks and analyzes national, state and international legislative and regulatory activities impacting the medical device industry and trade association operations
· Supports in the development of Strategic Planning trackers and tools to support AdvaMed’s overall strategic plan
Drafts, reviews, and revises reports, releases, and summaries of relevant issues for colleagues and member companies
· Provides support for Legal, Compliance, Privacy, and Board meetings held in-house and outside the office, including preparing meeting materials (e.g., proofreading, formatting, printing, preparing binders); researching costs and developing budget; scheduling conference rooms, catering, and technical needs; disseminating meeting agenda, materials, and minutes; preparing invitations, correspondence, and registration; incorporating last-minute changes into materials as needed
· Prepares, proofreads, edits, distributes, and maintains documentation and information, including briefing materials, correspondence and mailings, meeting announcements, agendas, minutes, and comments; incorporates last-minute changes to materials as needed
Internal Legal Support and Legal Administration
· Supports the legal department’s working group activities at the direction of the team attorneys, including keeping Salesforce data tracking up to date
· Prepares narrative summaries, charts, tables, graphs, or other visual aids for data reporting
· Manages AdvaMed Code Certification processes, including assisting members through the certification process, tracking certifications, reviewing/updating Salesforce data as needed
· Inputs working group benchmarking surveys into survey tool (e.g., SurveyMonkey, Poll Everywhere), manages data collection, cleaning/scrubbing, review, analysis, and report generation
· Supports policy benchmarking by de-identifying and compiling member company policies
· Assists with the gathering and analysis of information, materials, documents, reports, and evidence necessary to respond to discovery or other information requests
· Provides administrative support and assistance to department head and team, including expense report preparation, and maintenance of departmental staff’s schedules and the department calendar
· Prepares, tracks, and administers department budget, including invoice tracking
Travel Requirements: 5%
Hybrid Work Policy: Resident Worker – minimum 3 days onsite per week; work events and responsibilities may require 4-5 days per week onsite during certain periods
III. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
· Ability to obtain, aggregate, and organize information regarding laws, regulations, and other legal documents
· Knowledge of nonprofit corporate law and governance principles
· Knowledge of the legislative and rule-making process and legal citations
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others at all organizational levels
· Personal and professional integrity and ability to earn and keep respect of peers and colleagues
· Ability to exercise discretion, confidentiality, and care in handling complex matters
· Ability to perform legal research using reference materials generally available within a law library and/or electronic resource tools
· Ability to analyze, review and revise policy and legal documents
· Exceptional ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
· Ability to draft policies, minutes, resolutions, reports, and talking points
· Ability to organize and prioritize workload with flexibility and adapt to constantly changing priorities
· Ability to work on projects independently or with little supervision with independent judgment and initiative
· Ability to understand and follow written and oral directions
· Ability to use and knowledge of office equipment
· Proficient in the use of relevant Microsoft Office Suite software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
· Proficient in the use of Salesforce and various survey and governance platforms
· Advanced to expert proofreading skills
· Knowledge of budgets and basic accounting concepts
· Experience with meeting and conference planning
· Experience with processing expense reports
Minimum Education Required:
Bachelor’s degree required
Minimum Experience Required:
2+ years’ experience required
Paralegal Certification or Undergraduate degree in Paralegal Studies
Law firm or corporate experience
Experience with web site development and/or maintenance
Experience with the healthcare industry or not for profit organizations
Standard AdvaMed Office Position
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time.
Physical Activities: Occasional standing, walking, talking, and hearing. Frequent typing.
Visual Acuity: The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data, extensive reading, and viewing a computer terminal.
Environmental Conditions: The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
The Advanced Medical Technology Association (AdvaMed) is the world’s largest trade association representing medical device and diagnostics manufacturers. AdvaMed's member companies produce the innovations that are transforming health care through earlier disease detection, less invasive procedures and more effective treatments. AdvaMed has more than 400 member companies, ranging from the largest to the smallest medical technology innovators and manufacturers. AdvaMed advocates for a legal, regulatory and economic environment that advances global health care by assuring worldwide patient access to the benefits of medical technology. The Association promotes policies that foster the highest ethical standards, rapid product approvals, appropriate reimbursement, and access to international markets.