The essential job functions listed below represent the primary duties and responsibilities of this job. Other duties and responsibilities within the scope of this job may be assigned to the employee. These essential job functions may change from time to time based on the strategic and operational needs of the organization.
· Build and maintain relationships and manage ongoing engagement with physician board and EVP to develop and execute a patient-focused communications strategy that includes earned, paid and owned media.
· Work with subject matter experts to produce compelling and impactful content.
· Oversee the update and redesign of the patient education webpages and Foundation website
· Work with external communications agency to manage media engagement to ensure coverage of ASRS Public Outreach campaign.
· Help strategize how to amplify the voice of retina specialists and the society across media platforms.
· Support external communications agency in preparing talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
· Write and edit patient education materials (including maintaining Retina Health (fact sheet) Series), fundraising documents, and marketing materials.
· Execute society’s public outreach social media strategy, in coordination with external communications agency.
· Manage the History of Retina project that includes a written history, oral history, and artifact collection, including overseeing video production.
· Assist in working with team to recognize internal and external communications opportunities, define solutions and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
Advanced degree in communications preferred with at least eight (8) years related work experience. Prior experience in a newsroom or agency a plus. Ideal candidate will have health care experience.
Excellent storytelling and visual judgement.
Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communications skills with the ability to create and maintain dialogues and relationships with internal and external audiences
Experience managing traditional, digital and social media, including strategy, analytics, influencer engagement, and paid media
Proven track record running PR campaigns that deliver measurable results and meet objectives.
Ability to manage deadlines, juggle priorities and synthesize multiple sources of input while effectively communicating and prioritizing information.
Attention to detail; methodical thinking.
Strong organizational/time management and project management skills.
Strong oral and written communication skills essential.
Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
Ability to engage confidently and persuasively with physician leaders and organization executives.
Travel occasionally to board meetings, committee meetings and courses/conferences
Thrive and contribute in a fast-moving, ever-changing environment
About American Society of Retina Specialists
Founded in 1982, the mission of the American Society of Retina Specialists is to provide a collegial open forum for education, to advance the understanding and treatment of vitreoretinal diseases, and to enhance the ability of its members to provide the highest quality of patient care. The ASRS has nearly 3,000 members in 59 countries.